Re: [OM] IMG: More Skippers

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Skippers
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:50:09 +0100
Jim

Thanks for those bits of information.  I saw the V22 first when I was on duty
at the Fairford Air Show around 5 years ago; I had known about it for decades,
of course, but not seen it.  And I was astounded at the size of the
propellers/rotors.  It just does not look right, and it seems that it's in
service because a very powerful group was behind it, and now perhaps they
cannot pull back.

Mind you, that was the show in which a blasted Typhoon pilot nearly lost it on
a low-speed, gear-down barrel roll with a wind pushing him towards the crowd.
He tried to turn too hard as he exited the barrel and only the smart lighting
of the burners got him away from the runway, about 5 ft below him.

I really don't want to watch another crash at an airshow.  I saw a fighter
(Lightning?) carve into the crowd at an airshow as a small boy; and when Gary
Edwards, formerly of the List, came over the the UK some years ago we went to
Duxford and saw a Fairey Firefly crash from an ill-advised barrel roll.

I seem to have digressed, again . . .

Chris