Re: [OM] Film scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanning
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 09:24:16 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> I used 80/4 Auto, but with Auto Bellows and slide copier attachment. I
> think it's a better set-up. There are two big
> problems with this approach.
>
> First is simple mechanical manipulation to set each slide in place. The
> Slide Copier is a big help with this, but still
> requires being present and involved the whole time.

I did used slide copier and bellows for last copy trial but they have to be
mounted on tripod, not so convenient (also another tripod to mount the
flash). My current setup has stoppers for the mounted slides, it just take
one or two seconds to place a slide and the position accuracy looked
even better.

Yes, it requires being present the whole time but I you know how FAST
shooting is when compared with scanning.

> Second is dust removal. Without the IR channel a scanner can provide, this
> is an endless headache.

Dust is a problem but with shooting method the problem is even less when
compared with the "not so dust sensitive Epson", the Nikon is a disaster
fortunately it has effective IR removal. I'm just doing archival works,
there is no hurry to do dusting.

> I don't know about the 4870. My 9950F is better than shooting with 80/4
> Auto and 5D, and infinitely quicker and easier.
> Drop 12 slides into the holder and let it do the rest.

There are some difference between 5D and 5D II, for me the shooting method
is much faster than scanning.

Here are a sample scan:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/UT_002.jpg

>From 5D II setup

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_0011.JPG

Resolution looks similar but the shadow details of 5D II looks better.

> For me, life is too short for the camera copy solution.
>
> I'd go beyond just unplugging and replugging everything, I'd be cleaning
> all the plugs, fingers, contacts, etc., inside
> the Nikon and the connection cables.

I will try it out later but all connectors look shining, the IEEE 1394 port
is mounted on the mother board, if there is no component failure it should
show connection. The other part of the scanners looks fine, the
initialization process run with perfect sound every time I power up the
scanner or insert a slide. Finally, I may try to send it to repair....

C.H.Ling