Re: [OM] IMG: Destructive Pest, the Japanese Beetle

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Destructive Pest, the Japanese Beetle
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:39:41 -0400
  My brother-in-law grows a big vegetable garden where he lives outside of
Syracuse. He catches hundreds each year with a series of pheromone traps
set up around his property.
   Jim your description of catching beetles reminded me of an activity we
did as children. In the summer there is a common beetle around here called
a June Bug. We would catch them in my grandmother's garden and then tie
about 8 feet of thread to one of their back legs. Toss the beetle in the
air and he flies around on a tether. Great fun for an eight year old; not
so much for the beetle.

Charlie