Re: [OM] Moosa Culpa [was Got a new (OT) squeeze; my poor pooch]

Subject: Re: [OM] Moosa Culpa [was Got a new (OT) squeeze; my poor pooch]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 19:55:56 -0700
On 6/20/2012 2:34 PM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012, at 10:24 PM, Moose wrote:
>> In the stairs image, it seems to me the shadows are blocked up and the
>> highlights a little too compressed. Also,
>> assuming it is as it looks, a bright, sunny, midsummer's day, the shadows of
>> the foliage on the stairs and the
>> building on itself don't seem to be contrasty enough.
>> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wilcox/old-cap-stairsw.htm> The
>> building image needs these things less,
>> but I did much the same thing to it, to show what it would do.
>> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wilcox/old-cap-1-w.htm>
> I respect what you do, especially with your own fine images, but I learn
> almost nothing from what you do with mine
> other than what you do or don't seem to like, and I can't believe anybody
> else cares one way or the other.

Sorry, I guess I misread what you had intended in your post. I thought you were
asking for some opinions about the tonal
details. I said what I thought about shadows, highlights and midtone contrast.
As I think the old saw about a picture
and a thousand words is especially true here, I provided an illustration.

I thought/hoped that it might be of help in finding your own favorite way with
this new film. Since you don't apparently
want considered thoughts on the tonalities, I hereby revise my comments:

"That's nice! I would have corrected perspective on the overall building shot."
 Nah, I'd have to say something about
the muddy shadows to the right of the stairs. There's some nice, subtle detail
available there ... , but there I go
again. :-)

> My wish is that you would show more of your own work and share what you have
> done to get to the results that are
> important to you. I believe I would learn quite a bit from that. Get up from
> that computer and go take some photos, man!

Remember, I'm a retired old fart, and don't work at a regular day job. I do, in
fact, get up and take pics, and spend
time working on them. Here's a group of 140 from spring trips to a nearby
Botanic Garden.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/Tilden_Botanic_Garden>
 I've posted links before
to a few images, but not to the gallery as a whole.

I've got another group of about 90 or so of that garden waiting to go through
selection and processing, another 200+
from another nearby garden and 400 or so from a trip up the coast (Including,
guess what, another Botanic Garden.) Some
will get selected, processed and posted in galleries, some may not. For me,
just the process of visiting, photographing
and browsing through the images is quite satisfying, largely independently of
whether they get processed and put up
sooner or later, or perhaps at all.

I tend not to post sets like this here for a couple of reasons. First, I
generally find such large galleries posted by
others to be too big for a casual visit, and tend to feel bad that I'm not able
to comment thoughtfully on them. For
example, Jez' recent post on this year's teaching trip was interesting to me,
but also overwhelming.

So I'll occasionally post links to individual images, as above, but seldom
directly to the whole gallery. Given the
number of hits on the Tilden Gallery main page, those who were interested found
it. As expected, the  number of hits
declines as one goes further in, except for those with separate posts linking
to them.

Another reason is that I take lots of relatively straightforward images of
flowers and other flora and a few fauna - and
I think a lot of people find that repetitive and boring. I love doing it and
have a love/hate relationship to processing
them, but I know they aren't everyone's cuppa. I imagine "Yawn, another poppy
... and here's another
cute/nice/slimy/icky slug.

Although I share some of the processes I use, albeit often on images others
have taken, it seems to me that the majority
here prefer to use Lightroom, Aperture, ACR and such tools, and aren't
interested in taking the time to learn and to
execute the sort of intensive, layers based, work that I do. Creating a useful
precis or work flow description of how I
do some of the work with which I am most pleased is a difficult and time
consuming job in itself. Trying to show how an
image evolves during processing is one reason for the multi-step roll-overs I
post.

Another thing is, I get actual enjoyment in working with images from others. It
also provides subjects and challenges I
may not get from my own shots. So it's not only fun for its own sake, but I've
learned a great deal from it that
broadens the capabilities I can bring to bear on my own work. I don't even post
all of them that I do.

So to the extent that it appears to be appreciated and sometimes provides
useful learning for several folks here, I feel
good posting the results, but I would do much of it anyway.

Excuse A Moose