Re: [OM] Really (OT) Question, But Photography Related

Subject: Re: [OM] Really (OT) Question, But Photography Related
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:50:25 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 6/21/2012 10:18:39 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

PS:  Still, the number of questions I get suggests that notwithstanding
whether I'm  being used, there might be a summer market up here for half-day
seminars of  one kind or another. I know an awful lot of the bigger names in
modern  photography are making their livings these days not off prints, but
rather off  workshops and such.

Bob, several years ago while attending a 2-day workshop with John Shaw, he
stated that he only knew of one nature and wildlife photographer who was
earning  a living only from selling his images.  Writing, workshops, etc.
seems to  be the other source of income.

Yes, half day workshops might be a good market.  When teaching my  classes,
I always included "optional" field trips.  Optional only because I  knew
some couldn't make the field trips and I didn't want to get into a tuition
negotiation based on their not being at the field trip.  A 2 or 3 hour  field
trip is where the rubber hits the road for the student after they have had
the instruction.  Not only do they have the knowledge, but they also have
you there to hold their hand.

Don't worry about what the big name guys are doing . . . you aren't
competing with them.  You can make some decent income packaging shorter
workshops
catering to folks with a different need.

Bill Barber