Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 17:43:43 -0700
On 6/16/2012 8:36 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> What I've had difficulty with is getting my head around the fact that
> this works at all with small integer values.  But given that the data
> originates with a gamma curve which is then linearized it must do so.

No, no, no. It originates linear from the camera of scanner, THEN is
un-linearized in the gamma correction step. He's
got his illustrations in non-logical order. The sensors are linear devices.

It's just that you have never seen one before that step and have an assumption
stick in your mind that they come out
with gamma.

> I've just had to accept the paragraph as written (whether Spanish or English)
> :-)

I don't think it makes much, if any, sense. I just skipped over it when my
brain started complaining. The figures and
the rest of the text made the issue clear, and I just got on with the job of
gamma correcting my linear 16 bit TIFFs.

TIFFident Moose