Re: [OM] Abandoned Log Cabin

Subject: Re: [OM] Abandoned Log Cabin
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 13:44:41 -0500
> There are very few like this left in Indiana, but there were probably
> many of them 160 years ago.

I learned that there are actually quite a few still remaining. The
bulk of them, however, have siding covering up the log construction.
When additions were built to the houses, they got resided at that
time.

The house I grew up in was built around 1880, give or take a few
years. The house was sided with big planks of wood with chinking. I
believe it got sided with that asphalt-paper fake brick siding around
the turn of the century, about the time the first addition was put on.
Evidence shows that it was re-sided with wood siding a couple decades
after that when another addition was put on and a basement put
underneath. We figure it had a total of seven additions.

My grandparents' houses never did get resided. They had the fake brick
material all the way up to the point were they were torn down in the
'80s.

Here in Iowa--especially western Iowa, almost all old farmhouses are
the original houses. The bulk of these were constructed with planks
and originally covered with shake siding. Very very few log cabins
because there wasn't that much of a native population of trees to use
for house construction. Although, there is one log house about four
blocks away from me that had been covered with siding until a few
years ago when somebody bought it and fixing it up for a rental
property discovered the log construction underneath. He has since
restored it.

AG