Re: [OM] OT: movie streaming options (was: I understand how Brian feels)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: movie streaming options (was: I understand how Brian feels)
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:08:01 -0700
> It depends on if it's in the ground or in your diet.
>
> I deal with networks that have multiple 10 Gbps of bandwidth. Next year
> I'll probably be installing a few 100 Gbps intercity connections.
>
> 2 miles of copper with ADSL2+ will be between 6 and 8 Mbps in most cases
> and that doesn't include the bonding option. We are putting as much as 100
> Mbps over copper and have the ability with some equipment to go much higher.
>
> Copper doesn't rust.
If you saw my attenuation #'s you might change your mind :)

As far as 6-8 mbps goes...not here. 4mbps is as much as anyone around
here gets for now. My plan covers up to a future 10Mbps but I'd have to
get a new modem if that ever happens in my lifetime. I'm getting up to
3.5 during off-peak. I know people in urban areas with 100mbps
connections. Probably limited by a website ability to sling.

So now looking to stream Netflix. Not planning to pay for anything else.
So far I'm looking at these. Any others to consider? Don't plan on
buying a new BR player or spending more than 80-100. Hopefully less.

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136997]
Western Digital WD TV Live Streaming Media Player - WDBHG70000NBK-NESN[/url]

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122447]
NETGEAR NTV200-100NAS NeoTV Streaming Player
[/url]

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882105656]
SONY SMP-N200 Smart Streaming Player[/url]

-I have cat5 so no need for wifi. According to fine print many WiFi
units don't stream HD anyway.
-I don't plan on paying for any subscription service besides netflix.
...but the more freebies the better.
-I'll plug the hdmi into my receiver not the TV
-my service is better but still not fast enough for 1080p HD so
component output jacks could be useful
-capability to stream from a NAS, a point to the WD I guess
-no interest in gaming and the PS3 type units are big + power hogs + $$$
-already have a BR player

-haven't seen a Roku player with features I liked but am not
opposed...but...
Only one model has an RJ45 port, only an hdmi output. Roku 2 XS doesn’t
allow networked media sharing and the worst thing, you must set up a
Roku acct and give a cc# Price too high given features.

Thanks,
Mike