[OM] OM-D review up on LL

Subject: [OM] OM-D review up on LL
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 23:28:54 -0400 (EDT)
AG writes:

>Boy, even Michael has drunk the cool-aid.

>However, I did notice his echoing something that has been bubbling
>just below the surface for a while. The GH3.

>No, the GH3 won't have a Kodak sensor, so stop wishing.

>AG

Still the cool-aid is quite tasty this time.

excerpts:

"Video on the OM-D is OK, but not great. If you want great video on an
MFT camera then the (aging) Panasonic GH2 is still your best choice. "

With weather sealed new 12-35/2.8 suspect GH3 will be weather sealed as
well.

"Dynamic range looks to be quite close to any other mirrorless system
and in terms of colour accuracy the O-MD may be among the best current
cameras. Skin tones are particularly pleasing right out of the camera,
with JPGs as well as raws in Lightroom 4.1."

"Conclusion
The bottom line on the Olympus OM-D E-M5 (other than its convoluted
name) is that it's the best Micro Four Thirds cameras yet, and highly
competitive with the current mirrorless segment market leader, the Sony
NEX-7. Panasonic will undoubtedly have a strong response product later
this year, but they'll have to really up their game if they're going to
compete with Olympus in terms of features and functions. No doubt the
next Pany will have killer video capability (which is not the O-MD's
strong suite), but right now when it comes to fit, finish, features,
ruggedness, and all-around camera goodness the O-MD will be a tough act
to follow."

It appears good enough to keep many satisfied for years. Many more lens
choices than for the NEX 7 though wish the OM-D had focus peaking
and the oversized multi-aspect ratio sensor the GH-x. One can use
Canyon lenses at least with auto aperture on NEX. We'll see if Canyon
come up with anything inspiring with their mirrorless offering--- soon
it appears.

Mirrorless (soon), Mike