Re: [OM] Panasonic to Bankroll Olympus

Subject: Re: [OM] Panasonic to Bankroll Olympus
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 07:38:40 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > I'm surprised that this did not happen earlier given the
> > somewhat close working relationship between the two.  I was
> > also surprised that something of this sort did not take place
> > with Kodak as the two of them teamed up to make the 10MB
> > sensor some time ago.  Must be that Kodak is infiltrated with
> > managers who earlier worked for Motorola.
>
> Agreed. But one of the big problems with these companies is that
> innovation from bottom-up is highly discouraged. The corporate
> culture is that of conformity.

     I know that culture far too well, but even further the discouragement of
innovation is due more to the fact that it is seen as a threat to the bosses
whose incompetence causes them to feel threatened by innovation amongst the
lower ranks.  Many of them rose through the ranks by way of outright theft from
subordinates, who were then summarily booted out the door.  That happened to me
fully only once, and after than I kept all documentation in a safe place with
me at all times so that when someone tried to pull that off it all went out the
door with me.

     Because of such corporate cultures, I've been more productive in the spare
room of my house than with any employer, and I have six patents to show for it.

Chris