Re: [OM] The iPad Connextion [and Tiny Bees]

Subject: Re: [OM] The iPad Connextion [and Tiny Bees]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 22:20:31 -0700
On 5/26/2012 5:54 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Moose, Moose, Moose!
>
> As cutting edge as you are, I'm suprised that you haven't keyed in on the
> best solution available right now. It's called "Google Drive". It's their
> new hotrodded version of Google Docs.
>
> Alternatively, Dropbox is a stout solution.

Ken, and all others who weighed in with info - many thanks.

Anything which relies on the cloud is a potential problem. Except when
connected to Wi-Fi, the iPad depends on a cell
network connection. In many places we go, where that isn't nonexistent, it is
less than 4G. Our current subscription to
Verizon is for 20GB/mo. In the month of October last year, I generated over
50GB of image files.

As Ken pointed out, the iPad is designed as a content consumer, not creator.
And the HD solutions I looked at, including
the HyperDrive Ian pointed out, are all aimed at feeding the iPad data only.
They do not write to HD from the iPad.
There is no general purpose file category and photos on the iPad can only be
JPEGs.

Clearly, absent some new solution, the iPad is simply not a general purpose
repository for image files. At the moment,
even if something like the HyperDrive could do that, the expense and additional
gear, together with a BT keyboard for
the iPad, would add up to as much or more gear and hassle as simply carrying
both iPad and netbook+.

Additionally, then we can both be online at once on separate devices, using the
iPad Wi-Fi Hotspot.

Using the iPad as a replacement for a general purpose computer for image
download and back-up was never part of the
reason for getting it. But I just had to see what was possible.

BTW, iTunes now isn't evil like Darth Vader on a PC, as it used to be, but it
still ignores much of what you ask it to
do. Downloaded the 64 bit version, which proposed installing in the 32 bit
program directory. I asked it to install in
the Media folder under Programs. So it installed part of itself there, as well
as adding two additional folders directly
under Programs and installing other stuff there, thus more than cancelling out
my attempt to keep the Programs folder
organized by categories.

External Drive Moose