Re: [OM] Zone-10 on the loose

Subject: Re: [OM] Zone-10 on the loose
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 09:02:08 -0500
> Oh well Ken,  I for one will miss anything you might have said about olympus
> gear ...

No fear! Olympus gear will be prominantly featured. Olympus the
company? HAH! Maybe in my blog or something, but nothing beyond that.
But do expect reference-site format to what it's to become. It won't
be just Olympus either.

> Have you considered SilverStripe CMS  for your web-site management?

No. I wanted to stay with the big kahuna this time. Mobilization is
very important to me and at this point the only one of the popular
open-source CMS that is actively embracing it is Drupal. All are in
some form, but the Drupal community is more tuned in than most. Also,
one consideration that keeps sneeking in is the licensing.
SilverStripe is BSD license, whereas Drupal is GNU. Maybe a minor
point, but...

Another issue which has bitten me severely is how upgrades to the CMS
orphans previous content. Mambo got abandoned, the fork to Joomla 1.0
was just a rename. But Joomla 1.5 on up required substantial
investment in time and effort to migrate content. Sites, like mine,
with hundreds upon hundreds of content items are nearly impossible to
migrate without substantial loss. Trust me, I've tried. Drupal, on the
other hand, has maintained, with one exception, a very
forward-friendly upgrade path. I was really close to going Joomla, but
that itching tail said no. Joomla also has that "freeware" feel to it
where you can do anything you want, but up to a point where you have
to start paying somebody else for templates, plugins, etc. Stuff that
is native to other systems.

As an example of this, the template used for my Mambo-based site is a
derivitive of another template. Even though I've heavily modified it
to the point where no semblance remains, I have to have a tag
somewhere on the page that references the source of the template. For
a fee I can make it go away... These types of pre-fab templates exist
in all systems, but in the Joomla/Mambo environment, the base
templates that come with the system are so horrid that you have to go
pre-fab just to keep your site from looking like a total joke.

Another aspect to Drupal which is going to be very critical for me is
web-commerce. The plugins for Drupal are much better (and safer). As
Zone-10 transitions from "the business of photography" to a
"photography business", I'm being pretty sensitive to this issue.
Another aspect, related to this, is the tie-ins to Google Apps.

That's it.

AG