Re: [OM] Av with chipped adapters

Subject: Re: [OM] Av with chipped adapters
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 22:09:16 -0500
On Thu, May 10, 2012, at 07:33 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Unfortunately, does not work for me.
>
> Joel W.
>
> BAH, That is dissappointing.  Just a couple obvious things to check.
> Is the stop down pin catching the aperture lever OK on the lens your
> are using?  Some slip off easily and I have been fooled for a few
> minutes.  Is the wide open aperture programmed in OK?  My Optix V chips
> would sometimes get squirrely and a a quick rub with a soft eraser on
> the  contacts fixed everything.  Perhaps you need a new chip?  It
> SHOULD work !?????

Mr. Big_IS apparently has a forum.  He seems to have re-posted and
provided a little development on some of his statements in the "manual."
 I think what you might have been describing is Mode A, and, the good
news is, that it does work as described below.  It is less clear that
Mode B works, mainly because I seem to lose focus lock somewhere in the
process.

<quote>
Shooting with Smart Adapter

Shooting and Recording exposure aperture data
Notice: please set up the adapter before use.
[See the How to Setup the Adapter section]

MODE A:

1. Set the maximum aperture on lens
2. Set the desired aperture on camera
3. Focus and meter the object, when focus is achieved, lock exposure
setting.
4. Set the lens aperture to the same desired aperture as the camera
setting
5. Press shutter button and take the picture.

MODE B:
1. Set the maximum aperture on lens
2. Set the aperture value on camera to maximum lens aperture
3. Focus and meter the object, when focus is achieved, lock exposure
setting.
4. Set the lens aperture AND the camera aperture setting to the desired
aperture.
5. Press shutter button and take the picture

Shooting and not recording exposure aperture setting
1. Set the aperture value on camera to the lens’ maximum aperture
2. Set the camera to AV mode
3. Set the desired aperture on lens
4. Focus and meter the object and take the picture.,
Exposure aperture data recorded in EXIF is the lens’ maximum aperture.

If you want to record actual exposure aperture data, you MUST
strictlyfollow operation instructions of Mode A or Mode B. otherwise the
adapter will sent incorrect aperture value to camera and the metering
system will not function properly, the result: incorrect exposure.
</quote>

His last statement quoted I have found to be true, namely, if you want
to shoot in Av without locking the exposure, leave the camera on max
aperture, focus, and stop down to whatever you like and the exposure
will be OK.  Change the camera aperture and you will get a messed up
exposure.  I don't really care very much about EXIF data, so I could
just continue to do it the easy way.  If I really want the EXIF I could
shoot once in Av and use it as a meter reading and switch to manual
mode.  Mode A however does seem like a very sensible workflow and I
should probably just adopt it.

Joel W.