Re: [OM] IMG: Piaggio Propulsion Details

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Piaggio Propulsion Details
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 13:13:46 -0500
> Very fitting commentary.  In my observation, I only heard it on the ground,
> during rollout, braking and taxiing.  Probably at its worst.

One advantage of running more blades is that they can be shorter.
Shorter blades mean greater RPM before the tips go supersonic.

Something else I noticed are the strakes on the fusulage. The shape
and position mean that the sound (shockwave) from the propeller blades
will reflect back outward. So, during ground ops, the sound to the
side will be greatly increased as the listener is getting both the
direct sound and the reflected sound.

This reminds me. A couple days ago, there was a Beachcraft A76 (I
think) taking off from the local airport. As he was climbing out, he
passed directly past us. His prop was giving that loud ratty sound
that I always recalled those particular airplanes to make.

AG