Re: [OM] IMG: Piaggio Propulsion Details

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Piaggio Propulsion Details
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 12:45:18 -0500
So, in looking at the props of this Piaggio, I can see a few things
that would contribute to a rather "distinctive sound". The flat blade
ends being the most obvious. Being behind the exhaust outlets like
that another. Being behind the scrambled airflow of the main wing
another. In standard straight-and-level flight, none of this would
matter too much, but pattern speeds (especially with flaps down) would
be another. Especially since the prop's RPMs will be quite high and
the blades in a relatively flat pitch.

I've ridden in my fair share of regional flights that used turboprop
airplanes. Those with the curved multiple blades have tended to have
the highest noise levels. Of course, nothing was as loud as the
turbines of a Metro, but that's another story. I otherwise rather
liked the sound of a Metro's blades. But I always fly wearing
earplugs.

AG