Re: [OM] Alt Dot Moose

Subject: Re: [OM] Alt Dot Moose
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:31:21 -0700
Hopelessly behind on the list Moose writes:

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012, at 09:00 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> A Moose doth not change his antlers.

I'm sorry you see it that way. I am, in fact, trying on new antlers for fit.

> He's jerking our chains. The only artistic manipulation he did to the photo
> was turn it upside down.

I'm certainly not trying to jerk anybody's chain. The wasn't part of the Visual
Conundrum series. It is part of an
effort to find new ways to make different images that affect viewers
differently.

The point of posting wasn't to have you solve a mystery. The point, to me, is
to create images that can be seen and
appreciated separately from their origins in a camera. I've never shown any but
limited talent in using art media to
create images. Perhaps there's a talent there I haven't discovered. But I do
know how to use a camera and edit images ...

So the point is not "What is it?" and then on to the next thing. It's "How does
that image, in and of itself, sans
referents, feel to you?" It seems to me that one thread of the history of
Western Art is that of finding a way to convey
something more about a subject beyond the immediate surface captured by various
image making media. With skill and luck
many painters, etc. have managed to not only do that, but sometimes illuminate
something about the viewer to the viewer.

My aspirations are as yet modest, but I am making an effort.

> It's a reflection in water.

Indeed it is, and thus started out 'upside down'. Actually, it started as two
images, exposed in different ways, then
massaged and mix and matched with layers. Somewhere along the way, I realized I
would like it better 'right side up',
not to obfuscate is origins, which seemed obvious to me, but simply 'cause I
liked it better that way.

Pretensions of Grandeur Moose