Re: [OM] RC papers and recovering photos from flood damage

Subject: Re: [OM] RC papers and recovering photos from flood damage
From: Paul Laughlin <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 15:44:20 -0700
I found this.  Might help.

*Identifying and judging the age of chromogenic prints *
As already noted, when in doubt a color photo is probably chromogenenic.
Chromogenic images often fade and discolor with age, sometimes gaining a
magenta tone. Vintage examples are on fiber based paper. This means that
the back of the photo has a papery, fibery feel, as opposed to the
plasticy feel of recent color photos you own. The front (where the image
is) of these vintage chromogenic photos are usually glossy. This fibery
back with glossy front is unique in color photos to the chromogenic photos.

In 1968 Kodak introduced resin coated paper for color photos. Resin
coated paper has that glossy, plasticy feel on back. This means that if
a photo with a 1950s image (James Dean, Korean War) is on resin coated
paper, it is not vintage. Many modern reprints of both black & white and
color photos are identified as the paper is resin-coated. A quick and
simple ways to identify many reprints.

It is from:
*Photograph Identification Guide
*by David Rudd Cycleback

Hope it helps.

Will try to check with "Operation Photo Rescue" and see what they say.
Right now I am a bit tired,  Just returned from buying a replacement
vehicle, as we had a transmission failure Saturday and it would cost
more to repair than the vehicle is worth. VBG  And that transmission had
less than 10,000 miles on an AMCO rebuild.  Out of warranty based on time.

Paul in Portland OR