Re: [OM] IMG: Semana Santa 2012

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Semana Santa 2012
From: "Nathan Wajsman" <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 18:11:30 +0200 (CEST)
I looked up a couple of Spanish sites, and the capirote (as the pointy hat
is called) can be traced back to Seville in the 14th century. How the KKK
adopted it, I don't know--perhaps they liked the Spanish because they had
kicked up the Moors and the Jews during and immediately following the
Reconquista in the 1400s?

Cheers,
Nathan

Op Do, 12 april, 2012 18:02, schreef Bob Whitmire:
> That doesn't surprise me. The similarities are just too close. But how did
> a bunch of racist buttheads during Reconstruction know about the Spanish
> costumes. Or did the robes come into vogue later on?
>

> On Apr 12, 2012, at 7:31 AM, Chris Crawford wrote:
>
>> Bob, I thought the same thing about the costumes worn by the people in
>> Nathan's photos. The Ku Klux Klan is said to have modeled their infamous
>> robes and hoods after the traditional Spanish ones shown in these
>> pictures.
>
> --

Nathan Wajsman
photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx