Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 8/4/2012 and 9/4/2012: Catholic señoritas and the

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 8/4/2012 and 9/4/2012: Catholic señoritas and the beach
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 22:49:05 -0700
On 4/10/2012 4:10 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Yeah, but are they actually virgins?<s>  Sorry, didn't mean to be so
> misogynistic.

Another of those lost in translation things. In the Aramaic spoken by the folks
in the Gospels, the word translated
through Greek to the English 'virgin' simply meant an of age, but as yet
unmarried woman. As I understand it, for
example, the term would not apply to a 'virginal' 8 year old girl.

It didn't have the same meaning about no sexual experience as our word. Not
that that wasn't of interest at that time.
Joe was rightly concerned about the social consequences of marrying a pregnant
woman, the personal issues of the level
of her commitment to him and the identity of the father. Sexual purity just
wasn't what was meant by that word.

Didact Moose