Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 13: food, landscape, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 13: food, landscape, etc.
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 01:07:01 +0930

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 08:54:33AM +1000, Andrew Fildes wrote:

> Yup, we invented those - 4L of quaffable stuff usually. But last time
> I was in the UK, I found a cardboard bottle of Australian Chardy - just
> a single 750 ml tall tetra pack. Never seen that here. Oh, and it was
> horrible stuff too and no cheaper. Bloody cheek.
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> www.soultheft.com

Hmmm... tetra-pak Chardy... did it have the 'insert straw' punchout in
the cardboard (and a flexy straw stuck to the side)?  :)

Another interesting packaging method for wineries, I wonder if they heat
(pasteurise) or pressure (pascalise) treat the wine after packaging this
way?

My Mum worked for a small co-op that set up a HPP (high pressure
processing - pascalisation) plant. All kinds of things sealed in plastic
or foil/plastic bags - from single serve pouches of fruit juice, to huge
sacks of big-fast-food-chain coleslaw (that the outlets fill their
retail tubs from), went through the place to extend the shelflife from a
few weeks to several months. Even wine corks were HPP treated to test if
the process kills off the greeblies in them.

davidt