Re: [OM] Return of the Moose - Visual Conundrum 8

Subject: Re: [OM] Return of the Moose - Visual Conundrum 8
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 12:10:05 -0700
On 4/4/2012 10:32 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Moose,
>
> I don't know about California animals, but here in Tennessee, squirrels
> crave aluminum.

Out here, we, of course, have nutrition programs for our wild friends. :-)

> The aluminum ties on my steel chain link fence have been
> chewed severely, almost severed in some places.  My power feed had to be
> replaced because it passed near some tree branches, and the squirrels had
> almost cut through the aluminum neutral conductor.  On the fence, most of
> the tooth marks are on top of the rail, different from your gouges on the
> side.

There may be ground squirrels out there, but probably no arboreal ones.
Appropriate adjectives for this point are
windswept, rocky, cold, foggy, inhospitable, and so on. The highest wind speed
recorded in Calif. was here.

There are certainly ground squirrel colonies along this coast in generally
similar weather, but they are where there is
soft ground for burrows. This point is still there and not worn away for the
simple reason that it is rock. And
seriously, much of the time, a squirrel trying to gnaw on this fence pipe would
simply be blown off.

For whatever combination of reasons, I saw no gnawing damage. All the gouges
are much broader and rounder than rodent
teeth would make.

Gnawing Moose