Re: [OM] OT: Spam Seige

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Spam Seige
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:32:02 -0700
Our server's tracking of spam email vs. wanted email placed the spam rate
at 95-98% for all the years we ran our own mail server.

Just think how fast the internet would be if providers got much more
serious about killing spamming accounts. One of the simplest means of
blocking it just isn't routinely done, yet it helped us eliminate virtually
all remaining spam from our server when we ran it.

Just turn on doing BOTH forward and reverse DNS look-ups on the sending
server before accepting the connection (it's even in an RFC, so it's
"legal"). When they don't match, drop the connection because it's certainly
either 1) spam or 2) a mis-configured server. ISPs  and organizations that
started getting most of their email dropped and not delivered would quickly
learn how to do things correctly, and spammers would have a huge loophole
closed to them.

But then... the majority of people running Microsoft Exchange servers would
actually have to learn how to properly configure both those servers and
their firewalls, and experience has shown that's unlikely to happen in my
lifetime...

---
Scott