[OM] IMGs: Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm macro Test

Subject: [OM] IMGs: Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm macro Test
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 07:27:34 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I set up an account on Flickr, having decided that Google Picasa was just
too unstable to be worth bothering with.  These four photos are taken with the
Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm macro zoom lens that I bought for $15 at a thrift
store in Tucson two weeks ago.

     The subject is a Dwarf Desert Honeysuckle (Dwarf Desert Honeysuckle
(Anisacanthus puberulus aka Chihuanuan Honeysuckle) in my garden.  I have a
number of these as they provide lush foliage in the summer with a minimum of
supplemental water.  The background is a block wall, and I waited until the sun
was at the right position to have the wall surface in shade and the flower(s)
in sunlight for good contrast.

     First photo is taken at 105mm f/5.6 with no macro:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7010969995/in/photostream

next is at 50mm f/5.6 with no macro:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7010966981/in/photostream

then at 28mm f/11 with no macro:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/7010965173/in/photostream

and finally at 28mm f/16 with 1:3 macro:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/6864858170/in/photostream

     I've had the base of this lens apart twice now to remove excess lubricant
in the aperture mechanism, and yesterday found that there is probably some on
the iris leaves as well as one or two of them stick when the lens is cold.
Tucking it inside my shirt for 5-10 minutes takes care of that.

Chris