Re: [OM] Early spring flowers

Subject: Re: [OM] Early spring flowers
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:37:08 -0500
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012, at 05:08 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
> Joel wrote
> > I put together a little gallery of some flowers just now in bloom in the
> > back yard as well as in the woods at a state park the next county north.
> > The crocuses and daffs are from the back yard (and I've posted one of
> > the crocuses before).  From the park, there are multiple photos of a
> > flower we call Spring Beauty.  I took them on the Ides of March,
> > certainly the earliest I've ever found them in bloom anywhere in Iowa.
> > (I sit here in shorts after having finished yard work today I usually do
> > in May.  I'm afraid there will be the devil to pay this summer.)
> >
> > There is one photo of two white flowers with the leaves still wrapped
> > around the stem of the flower.  Very odd behavior.  Anyone know what
> > that one is offhand?
> >
> > http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox
> >
> > Gear:  OM-5D, Zuiko 90/2 for most of the close ups, except for the
> > orange crocuses and that was with the 135/4.5 and autotube. The one
> > landscape shot was taken with the 135/2.8.  Zuiko carrier:  BMW R1100R
> > with Shad topcase. :)
>
> Well, you have really upped the ante with these shots.
> I don't know how much is due to the OM5D, but these photos have
> characteristics that I have not seen before, as far as i can remember.
>
> Not only sharp and with nicely out-of-focus background, but something
> about the colours, and not one blown-out part that I recall. The colours
> seem
> to be very accurate. Yes, I realise that a lot is to do with technique,
> and light
> direction.  Great shots.
>
> And I still do not like sites that use 'flash' technology, when html
> works just
> fine and is faster.

Thank you, Brian. Those are very gratifying comments.  Not trying to
deflect any compliments, but I think the 5D has a lot to do with it.  It
is possible that Sagelight is also responsible -- at least I am
generally pleased with the result of raw conversion via Sagelight
(though I don't recommend it for raw conversion with an E anything).

The 5D is an old camera and doesn't require my rehearsing its features.
It keeps me thinking about my Zuikos, which is the main thing I enjoy
about it.

I'm sorry the flash stuff is a pain for you, but truth be told, I do
like messing with it!

Joel W.