[OM] 90/2 vs. 80/4 (was "IMG: An Occasional Flower on Friday - Jim N.")

Subject: [OM] 90/2 vs. 80/4 (was "IMG: An Occasional Flower on Friday - Jim N.")
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:00:35 -0500
Someone long ago (might have been Giles Stewart) did a side-by-side
comparison of the 80/4 and the 90/2. The photo was of raindrops on the
windshield of a car.  This was not to compare resolution, sharpness,
macro ability, or attractiveness of the lens as jewelry, but just the
impact in a normal photograph.  The 90/2 rendered the scene with depth
that was almost living and breathing as compared with the flatness of
80/4 rendering -- and it was palpable from the web images, obviously.
Had I seen only the photograph made with the 80/4, I would have thought
it was an excellent lens.  The 90/2 is just something else in those
situations.

However, I don't know if I would try to argue that at the mag ratio Ian
used the 90 would be better.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it because it
is convenient and the results would be good enough for me, most likely.
If I were trying to win a sharpness contest, I might use a 50/3.5.

Joel W.