Re: [OM] A shutter speed mystery

Subject: Re: [OM] A shutter speed mystery
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 17:21:13 -0000
Granted I haven't seen the photo, I would venture that it was not "captured
on film" but "painted on paper" using retouching ink.  Photoshop has much to
answer for, part of which is the assumption that before Photoshop there was
no way to 'improve' a photo. I have seen, nay held in my own hands, prints
from a national newspaper (which I think is respected for not bending the
truth) bearing the most obvious evidence of gross re-touching to accentuate
the lines of the lapel on a dark suit jacket - as one instance that sticks
in my mind. The intent was to make the image reproducible using the
newsprint technology of the day - letterpress printing at maybe 30dpi!

So my vote - no shutter speed mystery at all!

Piers