Re: [OM] Museum, Overhaul or Fruit Cake

Subject: Re: [OM] Museum, Overhaul or Fruit Cake
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:23:48 -0600
I looked the camera over much more carefully last night. There are
some telltales which might cause me to rethink this a bit. It's been
years since it's had a lens or body cap installed. Insides are GRUBBY.
The mirror might have also been knocked a touch out of alignment. The
camera is also pretty well worn. The chrome finish hid a lot of
faults, but examining it under good lighting showed that it's a user.
The pressure plate has wear marks in it and the lower film guides are
scalloped.

So, I'll probably blast it out with a good shot of air, throw an old
scratched focus screen in it, polish up the exterior, throw a matching
50/1.8 on it and give it a retirement on the shelf. It's starting to
take on the look of BER (beyond economical repair), especially if the
mirror is knocked out of alignment. All the mechanicals appear sound,
though. Shoot, if this was a Leica, it would probably still be worth a
grand and would be worthy of the work.

So, no conclusive plans yet. I've got it sitting on the shelf with the
other OM gear not currently in my go bags.

Shined up, it will look good modelling silver-nosed lenses for www.zone-10.com.

AG

--
Ken Norton