Re: [OM] Friday flower

Subject: Re: [OM] Friday flower
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 02:22:37 -0800
On 2/18/2012 10:51 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> The first one is very nice, Moose.

Thanks, Jim

> There aren't many blooms around here, so I appreciate the help.

Glad to help. ;-)   I meant to mention that these flowers are called Shooting
Stars, specifically, Dodecatheon
Clevelandii SSP Insulare, from Santa Cruz Island, CA.

> My wife says the second bed could be tulips.

Sorry, no. We have three botanical gardens near us. The best known is the one
in SF, about 30-40 minutes away. But there
are two others within about five minutes drive of us. The one at UC Berkeley,
like SF, has an international collection,
although in a less felicitous setting. Far less well known is the closest, in
Tilden Regional Park, just over the ridge
East of us.

This is a panorama of part of the garden.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/Tilden_Botanic_Garden&image=_MG_5536-7panoof20.jpg>

The trees at the top and the lawn below them are part of the regional park, but
not the botanic garden. At a wild guess,
it may show 25-30 % of the whole garden area. Even from the air, it's probably
not possible to get a good overview of
the garden, as some is heavily treed, concealing much of the creek.

It has an amazingly extensive collection of Calif. native plants only. So - not
tulips. I don't recall what they are.
There are thousands of different plants there, so I don't even try to remember
any that don't stick in my head on their
own. Nor do I care enough to shoot all the labels. In fact, I cleaned out the
back of one in that shot, so I know there
is one on the other side, but I wanted the light shining through the leaves. :-)

When I say 'bed', it's not just those leaves. They are just the first to come
up this spring in a bed with many plants.
Beds are official, in that they have numbers as part of the way they keep track
of all the plants.

Botanic Moose