Re: [OM] Friday flowering tree

Subject: Re: [OM] Friday flowering tree
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:57:25 -0800
On 2/13/2012 7:32 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
>> A neighbor's flowering cherry seen through a 'window' in the foliage in
>> front of our house.
>> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/Miscellaneous&image=_MG_5447croof15.jpg>
>>
>       It's VERY unusual to see a cherry tree blooming this time of year, more
> than a month early.

I used to think that every year. I have finally come to understand that this is
the normal time for these trees in this
place to bloom. Driving through our local hills yesterday, it seemed that there
are trees blooming everywhere, sometimes
in profusion. Mostly the reds and pinks of cherries at the moment, but the
white of Japanese plums and of almonds is
already out in my back yard, so I expect to see it all around soon. Then
magnolias, azaleas, rhododendrons - ooh, I'm
all excited!

It's true that blooming at this time is probably not very wise of the trees, if
we see them as surviving into the future
through seed reproduction. That's because most years, they all bloom, only to
be almost immediately stripped of those
blossoms by heavy rains. OTH, the evolutionary strategy of becoming necessary
or desirable to humans actually assures
them of success even in climatic areas where unaided self reproduction is
difficult.

Moose