Re: [OM] OM-D Official Announcement

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D Official Announcement
From: "Walters, Martin" <Martin.Walters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 09:51:38 -0500
Been following the comments on the OM-D here, on DPR and FourThirds with
interest. Despite some of the angst, it does seem that Olympus has
listened to users and tried to tick as many of the boxes as possible.
Based on what I've been able to read, I think they should be
congratulated.

Now, I'm not a professional photographer and never will be. Many on this
list are also much better photographers than I'll ever be, too. So my
comments should be taken in that light. I've not yet jumped into the
digital ring, but the EP3 and, now, the OM-D are pushing me down the
mirror-less direction. If and when I go that route, I suspect that the
biggest challenge will be deciding on the lenses, not the body.

The size/weight factors are increasingly attractive. My travel kit is OM
+ 21/50/100, which while small is not necessarily light. Throw in a 180
and a flash and it's no longer small. The EP-3 and the OM-D with a zoom
and a couple of primes are really starting to look good as a travel kit.

I suspect that the current sensor (or APS-C for that matter) will be
quite adequate for my needs. I live with the limits imposed by film, so
don't expect perfection from digital. In that regard, I accept the
reality that sensors will continue to improve (pixel counts, noise etc),
and that cameras are more and more electronic appliances - and (somewhat
cynically) already out of date when released.  I'm not particularly
upset about an EVF either; this is one path the technology is taking.

I don't have a great problem with retro either. For things that I do for
fun/pleasure, I increasingly like "older" - whether they're cars,
planes, music or cameras. The Pen and OM monikers are Olympus' own and
their's to use as they see fit. I never felt "abandoned" when Olympus
stopped developing and then ended the OM line (ducking now), so the new
use of the OM moniker doesn't offend.

Sort of like the old and new Minis. I grew up with the original, during
the heyday of the Cooper S. The new Mini is a much better car in every
way. However, the original offered tremendous performance for its day,
could be rebuilt easily (which I did, often out of necessity) and was
amenable to slapping on all sorts of goodies, all relatively cheaply,
and was fun to drive. Some days, I'd like to get a '68-'69 S to tinker
with and drive in summer.

Martin