Re: [OM] OT: Snow, graves and a poet

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Snow, graves and a poet
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 21:29:14 +0000
For once I agree with you on the subject of climate, Chuck :-)

It would be utter madness to treat weather forecasting* as anything other than
scientific guesswork.

I realised the other day why our aviation forecasts have this (for instance), "
PROB 40 TEMPO OVC005".  This means that there is a 40% probability that the
cloudbase will temporarily (for a short period, <1hr) be at 500ft.  I always
wondered why it was never higher than 40%, but now I realise that it's because
success for a forecaster is achieved at 50%.  So there is no point in
forecasting higher than 40%.

I didn't read the bit from the Independent about snow, but I imagine that the
chap is likely to be right, or completely wrong, inasmuch climate will change
drastically whether for the warmer or the colder.  We're seeing whacky
conditions now: the last few months has been marked by weather, in the UK,
which I have not seen before.  In some ways it seemed similar to the weather we
used encounter in eastern Canada, "big weather" conditions, for want of a
better description.  I put this down to climate change.

Chris