Re: [OM] Lens/partial system/full system testing

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens/partial system/full system testing
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 10:04:38 -0800
On 2/7/2012 8:47 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> Thanks for that appreciation, Moose, but what is deconvolution -- in layman's
> terms?  I've had a search on the Internet, but the explanations mean nothing
> to me.

Non-scientific, possibly/probably therefore not entirely accurate, but
indicative in a possibly useful way:

When light is focused through a lens, the various imperfection in the lens
convolute it, "intricately fold, twist, or coil"

If the characteristics of the lens and the focal and image distances are
mathematically defined, it is theoretically
possible to un-fold, un-spindle and un-mutilate the resultant image into what
it would have been if formed with a
perfect lens.

In practical terms, the lens can't be perfectly known and described in math,
but the results of deconvolution may be
startlingly good.

At the level I'm talking about, with Focus Magic and other consumer tools, we
have generic applications of deconvolution
that make lots of simplifying assumptions about the lens that may have formed
the image and allow specification of
simple input(s) and choice of input criteria based on viewing a small sample of
the image at 100%.

Whilst far from the potential of custom tailored deconvolution, these simple
versions still accomplish semi-magical
transformations in many cases. FM, in this case, seems particularly suited to
images from the S100, for whatever reasons
of lens itself and sensor system. Oddly, this seems to be true across the zoom
range.

Deconvolution is rather processor intensive. My speculation was that someone,
one of these days, will have an in-camera
processor with the power to do custom, in-camera deconvolution specific to the
lens, focal length and focal distance. I
suspect the results will be spectacular.

In the meantime, I suspect that some enterprising geek will eventually come up
with a way to create lens profiles for
any lens and read focal distance from EXIF to make the corrections in a post
processing app.

Looking at the corners of JPEG vs Raw files from the S100 in DPP, Canon's own
Raw converter, I see some quite amazing
corrections going on. Smeary, distorted stuff becomes clear. I don't think is
is deconvolution, in the full sense, but
I'm impressed. How do I work that into my work flow when corner details matters
to me?

Convoluted Post Moose