Re: [OM] Polaroid's Android-powered, 16-megapixel Smart Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Polaroid's Android-powered, 16-megapixel Smart Camera
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 10:12:05 -0600
I do believe that within the realm of ISM (Industrial, Scientific,
Medical), the market for a programmable camera is massive. It's easy to say
that the demand isn't there today because nobody has built anything to be
demanded.

I'm reminded of the Radio Shack CoCo (Color Computer). this thing saw
wide-spread use in ISM because of the zero-wait-state processing and it's
integration with sensors. As a commercial success in regards to the target
audience (general consumer), it wasn't exactly a marketing failure, but it
didn't set the world on fire. It didn't set Radio Shack up as a
trend-setter like Apple.

>From an industrial perspective, I can think of a couple of odd uses for a
programmable DSLR in just the company I work for that would justify 3000
units. Just in the USA in just this one industry, we could use 50,000
units. Globally, this one industry would be over 250,000 units in market
potential. We are making do with junk that costs almost as much.

I'm going to hear it that 250,000 units isn't enough for any product
manager at Olympus to worry about. But I'm talking about 250,000 in
addition to what would be otherwise sold of a higher end product with wide
profit margins.

Olympus, more so than other brands, really does have a very good presence
in ISM. It would not be too much of a stretch to take the OM-D, and open it
up to third-party developers who would be able to take an otherwise decent,
but not stellar camera and give it a long-term sales potential that goes
far beyond what is common in consumer electronics. They could charge even
more for the programmable version and it wouldn't matter too much.

I do realize that Olympus has somewhat this type of agreement with
Panasonic and the other Four-Thirds partners, but they are all consumer
electronics oriented. It's the ISM market that I'm interested in. Olympus,
being highly successful in this market should know. In a global population
of 7 billion people, Olympus did figure out that the market for endoscopes
is huge even though very few consumers are buying them.

AG