Re: [OM] Photographic Freedom

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographic Freedom
From: "deebel" <deebel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 00:50:50 -0000
Gerry,

Agree with your sentiments although The Book of Photography (Hasluck) published
1905 lists the undernoted as requiring permits to photograph.

(extracted)

For permission to photograph the various buildings
and public places mentioned below, application must
be made to the authorities quoted, enclosiug in all
cases a stamped addressed envelope for reply-

Cathedrals and Churches.-The Deans and Vicars,
Colleges of Oxford.- The Master or Dean.
Ruins of Abbeys and Castles.-The Stewards.
London Parks and Open Spaces, &c., under the control
of the L.C.C.-The London County Couucil,
Spring Gardens,  Permits are granted for
twelve months.
The Royal Parks-St. James's, Green Park, Hyde
Park, Greenwich Park, Bushey, Richmond and
Hamp.ou Court Parks, Kensington Gardens,
Regeut's Park and Primrose Hill. Board
of Works, Whitehall,  Permits granted for
twelve months.
Kew Gardens.-The Directors. No photographing is
allowed on Sundays, Christmas Day, Good Friday,
or Bank Holidays.
Windsor Green Park and Virginia Water.-Captain
Campbell, Holly Grove, Windsor Park.
Zoological Gardens, Regent's Park.-Secretary, Zoological
Society, 3, Hanover Square, London, W.
Epping Forest, Highgate Woods, St. Paul's Churchyard,
Burnham Beeches, Wanstead Park, Coulsdon
Common, West Wickham Common, and Queen's
Park, Kilburn.-Town Clerk, Guildhall, E.C.
British Museum.-The Chief Librarian. The application
must specify the objects to be photographed,
and the name of the photographer. Permits are
only given to amateurs with respect to exhibited
objects.
Botanical Gardens, Regent's Park.-The Secretary.
South Kensington Museum and Bethnal Green
Museum.-The Secretary, Science and Art Department,
South Kensington, S.W.
Natural History Museum, South Kensington.--The
Director.
Tate Gallery.-The Trustees.
National Gallery.-The Director.
Guildhall Gallery.--The Library Committee. Guildhall.-
City Lands Committee.
Westminster Abbey.-The Dean. A form of application
must be first obtained from the Chapter
Clerk, The Sanctuary, Westminster, S.W., and
this must be signed by a member of Parliament, a
barrister, or an Anglican clergyman.
House of Lords.-Secretary, Lord Chamberlain's
Office, House of Lords. Rarely granted,
Tower of London-exterior only.-The Constable of
the Tower.
Bnckingham Palace.-Personal application.
Chelsea Hospital.-Personal application.
Lambeth Palace.-Inquire at Gate.

Dave