Re: [OM] OM-5D for me

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-5D for me
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 22:23:39 -0800
On 1/21/2012 6:27 PM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
> Discussion of adapters and raw converters in recent days has been very
> timely for me, as I picked up a rather gnarly but good, working Canaan
> 5D.  I ordered a Big_Is adapter that has yet to arrive from Hong Kong,
> but I also found a couple good ones shipping from a US location by
> Rainbow Imaging (on the 'Bay).  I picked up one adapter each for OM>EOS
> and Nikon>EOS.  The only lens I have that these adapters don't work with
> is the N*kkor E series 50/1.8. The fit is so tight that the aperture
> ring will not move easily.  My other AI/AIS lenses work fine.

Take a look at the outside front edge of the adapter. Mos of them seem to have
a slightly raised edge. On my F adapters,
this is what caused that sort of jamming. You might try some fine emery paper,
file, etc. to cut it down in the crucial
area. I sent my first one back and bought another, cheaper one that doesn't
bind on my lenses, including one 'E' series.

> The
> OM>EOS adapter works with all the lenses I've tried so that it can be
> left on the body and lenses can just be switched out as desired.
>
> I have messed around with programming the EMF chip, but all I really
> care about is the focus confirm, which is wonderful to have.  The meter
> is crazy, but sunny 16 and a histogram work for me.

On my BIG-IS EMF chip, it the programming for max aperture that cures the
exposure blues. Unfortunately, programming is
such a pain that I think it's only practical when using a different
adapter/chip for each regularly used lens. At under
$20 a pop, that's not impractical.

> I don't think I would really mess with the 5D if I had not had the
> possibility of focus confirm (though now I find a great many situations where
> manual focusing against the stock screen is perfectly easy and successful).

One of the hazards of advice about such things on the list. How your individual
viewfinder eye works at that apparent
distance and magnification is something no one else knows. You just have to try
it. I find MF on the 5D with most lenses
easy, others don't. Glad you are one of the lucky ones.

> It appears to work even stopped down as far as f8.

Just don't program f8 into the chip. The 5D will then decline to focus confirm.
I set it to f5.6 for my 600/8 and it
works well.

> With discipline I hope to keep this body dedicated to the exercise of my
> old glass.  I'm quite happy with the E-3 and my four DZ lenses for that
> pure digital experience.  Ironically, I think I'll shoot more 35mm film
> in days to come as my mind centers more on the FF view of things.
>
> Chuck has been my go-to resource off-list with initial questions
> (thanks, Chuck).
>
> I picked up a Tamron 28-80/3.5-5.6 EOS mount to learn the camera.  It's
> a cheap lens, a "floater" is what Gary Reese would call it (throw it in
> the water and it would float).  I'm actually amazed at how good it is.
> And of course it is light and easy to use.  And so lies before me the
> slippery slope into Canonista-ville.  But I hope to be disciplined.

As Carol says of my odd obsessions, "It's not Heroin."

> Joel ("How do you like me now?") W.

Just fine. Maybe even better? :-)

Moose