Re: [OM] 4-up display

Subject: Re: [OM] 4-up display
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:59:03 -0800
On 1/24/2012 2:23 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> I'd never heard of Photo Mechanic so checked it out a little bit.  It's
> basically a browser with a lot of ancillary function for getting images
> off cards and on to disk, out onto the web, etc.  It costs $150.  It
> offers a 20 day trial installation.  It does have a nice 2-up compare
> function.  Select some images.  First image takes the position on the
> left and pressing a key causes new images to appear on the right for
> comparison.  If the right is better than the left press another key and
> the right replaces the left.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Exactly how LR 4b Compare view works, except you can either click on arrows or
use the arrow keys to go through the
images on the right.

> I did spend a bit more time with Bridge and discovered that you can make
> a selection of two or more images, press "Ctrl-B" and you'll get a full
> screen compare window.  You'll see the full image area if you have 4 or
> less selected.

As I already posted.

> If there are more you'll see a central window with one
> image and the others arrayed in a circle of overlapping windows behind
> it.  Arrow keys or mouse motions rotate the background images into the
> larger main display window.  A down arrow drops the image from the loop.

I didn't like that, so didn't mention it.

> You can't zoom or reposition an image in its window but you can click
> a spot and bring up a loupe.  The mouse scroll wheel controls the
> magnification which, unfortunately, varies only between 100% and 800%.
> (who makes up these silly limits?).  Somebody clearly had a different
> usage in mind than my own.  If you're so inclined you can open loupe
> windows on all images and, if you hold the Ctrl key down the loupes will
> move around with the mouse in unison.

As I already posted, it looks like this.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=Bridge_4_compare.jpg>

Not as nice or useful, to my duple mind, as LR or even the quite similar
Aftershot comparison views.

Recycled Moose