Re: [OM] Olympus OM-D and Historical Context

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus OM-D and Historical Context
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:47:12 -0800
On 1/20/2012 12:20 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> This one should get some blood boiling.
>
> http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=672&Itemid=1

Nah, all it did was waste a little of my time. Are there really more than a
handful of people who can get worked up
about mistakes and miscues of the past?

I would propose that the term narrow in regard to the market segments Oly has
pandered to is misleading. The consumer
market is much larger than the pro market, even if you include advanced
amateurs. It seems to me that your bias toward
folks like you sometimes skews your view of the overall markets.

If you really want a great digital back for your OMs, you need to find someone
to design and build an automatic aperture
OM=>EF adapter. I choose Canon only because of its register distance advantage
over other mounts. Make the adapter large
enough that the base of the lens fits inside. It may then use the DOF preview
button for stop down. Or it could just
have a piece on the side to hold computer, battery, max aperture dial and
aperture stop down mechanism.

Even the people making AF confirm adapters have reverse engineered the EF body
to lens communication protocol. The
adapter could read its own max aperture dial and the relative aperture setting
pin on the back of the lens and convey
the info to the camera. The camera would simply think it has a lens mounted
with AF switched off, signal when focus is
achieved and operate the aperture by signaling the adapter as though it is an
EF lens.

Moose