Re: [OM] Hmm, maybe never mind on the 100mm f2 at $750

Subject: Re: [OM] Hmm, maybe never mind on the 100mm f2 at $750
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:20:35 -0500
Actually, if you could get a really good deal on such a damaged lens it
might be a good buy.  The clear aperture of the 100/2 appears to be
about 50mm.  If the missing 1/2" (12.5mm) chunk was roughly circular the
damaged area would only be 6-7% of the total glass area.  Fill the
damaged area with India ink to prevent it from transmitting light and
the only side effects would be a 6-7% loss of light (trivial) and an
increase in diffraction from the new edges introduced into the light
path.  But, given that the diaphragm and the lens cell edges are also
diffracting edges the small increase due to the perimeter of the damaged
area is also trivial.  You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference
between the damaged one and an undamaged one.  The black spot in the
glass would simply be a small obstruction in the light path.  No
different from and substantially smaller than the 25-35% area
obstruction introduced in many mirror lenses by the secondary mirror.

Chuck Norcutt