Re: [OM] Speaking of Kirk Tuck

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of Kirk Tuck
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:16:13 -0600
The blog posting I was referring to was where his business manager
alto-ego was chewing him out over camera purchases. My favorite line
was about bricking an entire wall with camera bodies. I've heard that
line from my wife...

What Kirk was dancing around but never really coming to grips with is
the fact that photographers--especially professional photographers
need an "ownership strategy" that is not emotionally based, but
centers on cost-containment and revenue-generation.

Unfortunately, Kirk has some serious character deficiencies that are
based on the fact that he loves cameras and is a professional
photographer as an excuse to play with photographic toys. I don't
expect his new thinking of austerity to last very long.

We all don't read his blog for honest assessments. We read his blog
because we get to live our photographic equipment acquisition lives
vicariously through him.
He's doing what Michael Richtmann did years ago before he started
buying cameras that cost more than luxury cars. At some point, we tend
to lose interest about things which have no semblence of reality to
us. Kirk is using AFFORDABLE and pretty HUMBLE equipment. We can
relate to that. Furthermore, the bulk of the work he does (which he
writes about) is stuff that pretty much any photographer can relate
to. In essence, Kirk is us.

When it comes to digital cameras, I actually do have an ownership
strategy. Fortunately, sticking with this strategy has saved me a lot
of money. Unfortunately, sticking with this strategy really grinds my
goat because I want to use the latest/greatest stuff. So, I read Kirk
Tuck's blog so I can let him do the buying/selling/using for me.

AG