Re: [OM] Speaking of Kirk Tuck

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of Kirk Tuck
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:15:20 -0800
On 1/12/2012 3:45 PM, Jim Couch wrote:
> Ken,
>
> Yes a good read! for those who aren't familiar with Kirk, here is the link:
> http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2012/01/thinking-about-gear-made-me-think-about.html

I like his take on the whole need for mirrorless FF.

"Finally,  I was reading through a forum post  in which an insane person wrote
about the need for there to be a
mirror-less full frame camera from the micro four thirds companies.  Huh?
That's like Tesla cranking out a diesel
Hummer.  But the argument was soon joined and, at one point a "professional"
photographer stepped in to say that having
the full frame was "crucial" in order to maintain "credibility" with clients
and stock agencies.  I think that instead
of eviscerating his logic I'll just let that whole concept hang in the air..."

This whole subject, both here and on TOP leaves me scratching my head. Doesn't
anybody get it that bigger sensor means
bigger camera? The whole point of the ILCs started out to be decent performance
in small size and weight.

Canon seems to have got into the same idea with the G1X. The older G series
were right at the upper edge of size and
weight for casual carry on belt or in large pocket. The G1X blows that up with
a camera that needs to hang around one's
neck. It's closer to a compact DSLR than a compact camera. Especially for
viewfinder lovers, the difference between the
viewfinder on an E-620 or the EVF on an SLT-55 and the tunnel of visual horrors
viewfinder on the G series is monumental.

The new Fuji is a big thing, too, but at least it looks to offer
technological/performance breakthroughs.

> The previous post is also excellent, short but well worthwhile! (As is
> much of Kirk's stuff.)
>
> http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-shoot-far-more-interesting.html

I loved that one, even posted a comment. The one AG referenced is just
gobbledegook to an amateur like me. Even if I
start selling my images/books, it'll still be drivel. Still, this next one
makes up for it all. :-)

Moose