Re: [OM] more phototherm

Subject: Re: [OM] more phototherm
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 14:18:45 +0000
Dawid, yes new they are quite pricey, but used they are more reasonable. I paid
about $650 for a new unused one on ebay a few years ago. I have seen them
anywhere between 450-1400 on ebay since then.

I use the industrial sizes of chemistry, not the uselessly small repackaged
'home' kits.  I usually buy dev to make 5 gallons, bleach to make about the
same or more, fix to make something like 20gallons, and final rinse to make 20
gallons or so too.  All but the bleach is cheap and easy to source. You can do
replenishment or oneshot. I do replenish and reuse the bleach, but use oneshot
for the rest, as its still plenty cheap to do so.  Apug has a good sticky
thread on sources and such.

Ra4 printing is easy, relatively speaking. Its no harder than b&w, and easier
in some cases... Mainly in that there are less options in certain things, e.g.
Varieties of paper, process, etc.  It's definitely easier than tray processing,
if you use a processor like a cp31. Even drums are easier than trays, albeit
possibly slower. Ra4 paper and chemistry is cheaper than b&w also.  The hardest
part might be color balancing, but even that is not bad with a filter viewing
kit or color analyzer like what is built into the minolta beseler 45a head.

With the cp31, I can crank out about 13-16 prints per hour, from different
negs, e.g. Each one is a different photo.  So the throughput can be pretty
fast.

Ed