Re: [OM] Leaked possible Fuji mirrorless offering

Subject: Re: [OM] Leaked possible Fuji mirrorless offering
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 08:27:29 +0200
Wayne, so am I.

The Leica M9 cannot be the only full-frame kid on the block in an OM-
like compact body forever, I am thoroughly convinced of this.

I cannot *understand* - it's obvious that any manufacturer who comes
out with this first will not be able to keep up with manufacturing
demand, pros and enthusiasts really want a compact 35mm-sensor size
camera, but one that is not a technological brick like the M9 (all its
nice qualities aside). I am willing to bet that - even if somebody
brings out a manual-focus-only full-frame compact camera for legacy
lenses - the demand will more than make it profitable, even without
the obligatory new line of autofocus lenses that usually accompany new
camera systems now.

Of course, I'll pay more for a good digital back for my OM-3Ti than
what I would even for a second-hand Leica M9. I'd scrape together
$5000 somehow if that's what it takes. One day, the technology will be
accessible and cheap enough to allow somebody to manufacture, at low
volume, the components needed for a good OM digital back.

But second prize for me is the inevitable appearance, some day, of a
compact, full-frame body with electronic viewfinder. Look, we know it
will never match a real OM for "feel" and haptics, ain't gonna happen
ever. But if they can get close, and allow us to use our OM lenses the
way they are meant to be - on a compact, full-frame body, I'm in.

Can you imagine what will happen to OM lens prices when such a body is
released?? They will be the only compact, fast rimes, for sure.
Nobody's going to come out with a 21mm f/2 this compact again, ever.

I anticipate exciting times ahead...

Dawid