Re: [OM] Old friends (was "Kodak's long fade...")

Subject: Re: [OM] Old friends (was "Kodak's long fade...")
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 08:49:03 -0600
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011, at 03:30 PM, Moose wrote:

> On 12/16/2011 2:55 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> > I always note uppercase RAW since it grates on my nerves. :-)  But
> > VueScan raw is not quite the same thing as a camera raw file.  VueScan
> > raw is simply a TIFF file.  See:<http://www.openraw.org/node/1546/>
>
> Yes and No. Yes, they are simply TIFF files. Yet they have certain
> characteristics we usually associate with camera
> Raw/RAW files. They have had no software processing applied. I think
> about the only VS settings that are applied to them
> are the hardware exposure setting and the scanning resolution.
>
> They are like an intermediate step between physical scanning and
> processing the scan. They look very dark because they
> are still in linear luminance mapping, before gamma is applied. One may
> open them in PS and apply whatever gamma one
> wishes, then go ahead from there, skipping VS processing completely. That
> also bypasses IR dust removal, though. I think
> it's actually is more time consuming than using VS to generate ordinary
> TIFFs from them, especially to apply white and
> black point, film profiles, etc.

Thanks Moose.  I've just scanned a roll of Kodachrome and recurred to a
previous judgment, when I was doing more of this sort of thing, that it
makes more sense just to let VS apply color settings and curve
adjustments that keep all the values within range.  This gives me
something to look at in Fast Stone.  The whole process of doing images
in this way is very time-consuming as it is.  I remember that people who
were scanning to RAW in VS typically had better batch scanning options
than I have (I have none) and/or were concerned about storing the scans.

When I am dead and my offspring sort through my computer drives, I don't
think RAW/TIF files that look like they are mistakes will be saved.
This is assuming the drives are not simply wiped or the computer itself
simply taken to the dump for recycling.  The slides themselves they will
know what to do with.

I need to give all of this some more thought. :-/

Joel W.