Re: [OM] Old friends (was "Kodak's long fade...")

Subject: Re: [OM] Old friends (was "Kodak's long fade...")
From: "Peter Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:03:16 -0800
Moose and Joel:  I've also got a Canyon FS-4000. When I upgraded to Win7
from XP, I found that it no longer supported all those common Adaptec SCSI
cards officially.  I read that I could obtain the Vista driver and plug it
into Win7, ignoring the dire compatibility warnings, and it would work.
But I also read that the scanner's USB support was much improved in the
current VueScan.

I tried it, and it was true.  Years ago when I got the scanner, I found
that USB was a good 3-4x slower than SCSI. Whatever the exact number, it
was horribly slow.  Now, USB is only marginally slower than SCSI.
Evidently, it wasn't the fact that the scanner is only USB 1.1, that speed
was actually fine for the rate that the scanner outputs data.  It must
have had something to do with how the data was read, or dovetailing the
disk writing efficiently with the data reads.

Whatever the reason, USB is only marginally slower than SCSI with the
newest 64-bit VueScan drivers.  Not enough to bother about, so I'm using
USB.  Which means one less nonstandard "thing" to have in my computer.
While the Vista drivers work on Win7 now, one day, after Microsoft
security update #1,697,463,297, it might cease to do so.

So I can happily scan my old Kodachromes and negatives on the new PC.  And
if I ever make good on my threat to shoot some B&W film again, I'm
covered.

--Peter

> On 12/16/2011 9:18 AM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>
> Hey Foxy,
> Finished my last rolls of KM about a year ago.  I still have seven rolls
> to scan and need to do it soon as my one last XP computer that can run
> the scanner is on the verge of death.
>

> I'm running my FS4000 scanner under Vista using an Adaptec 2930 SCSI
controller and the generic driver that comes with VueScan. It works just
like it did on previous versions of Windoze.