Re: [OM] Scan sizes (was Old friends (was "Kodak's long fade..."))

Subject: Re: [OM] Scan sizes (was Old friends (was "Kodak's long fade..."))
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 07:14:24 -0600
I typically scan at 4000 which is the max with my Nikon. Depending on the
film, I'll go 16 or 8 bit depth. Slides usually are fine at 8 because there
is little tone mapping needed. Negs are almost always 16 as they need
massive tone mapping.

After scanning, I will often downsize the image up to 50% as there isn't
much detail to be kept, anyway, but this denoises the image and makes it a
better match to digital camera files. Yes, that's right. Throwing away
pixels gives you better files--but only after scanning at full rez.

AG