Re: [OM] (OM) OT Severe gales in N UK and Scotland reported

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Severe gales in N UK and Scotland reported
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 08:51:32 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > I've been trying to get anyone at all interested building
> > solar-powered air conditioners based on the use of a steam-jet
> > ejector for years, but nobody is interested.  All it takes is
> > someone who can weld copper.  It's the least costly and most
> > reliable method known, and it's been around for more than a
> > century.
> >

> Oooh!  Never heard of that so I had to look it up.  Less than
> 1/2 way down the page:
> <http://www.machine-history.com/Refrigeration%20Machines>
>
> But that would require a fairly large concentrating solar
> collector to boil the water.  What design?  How big?

    Lots of improvements have been made in the basic concept in the past 20
years of so.  One researcher in Britain realized tha if you use glycol under
pressure on the collector side and lithium bromide under partial vacuum on the
process side the system becomes more efficient and the needed collector size is
reduced.  Last I heard he was installing large units on factories in Mexico.

    A french researcher found that adding a cooling jacket to the ejector
diffusor also improves the efficiency.

    These things are basically steam engines with no moving parts, except for a
small circulation pump.  If you apply that, then the use of feedwater heaters,
superheaters, and economizers become obvious.

    Lots of other innovations are available, and I have a few of my own that I
would like to try.

    There are Chinese and Japanese manufacturers who make these for residential
cooling and they sell like hotcakes in southeast Asia and India.

    It's interesting to note that the Santa Fe railroad used this method on
their heavy passenger cars until steam power came to an end in the 1950s.  The
equipment was made by Carrier:

http://www.atsfrr.com/resources/Sandifer/SEAC/SFM.pdf

Chris

Regards,