Re: [OM] First glitch shows up on the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" Monito

Subject: Re: [OM] First glitch shows up on the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" Monitor
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 16:52:37 -0500
The second glitch showed up which caused the display of the first row of
icons to be repeated apparently ad infinitum.  If the monitor was
displaying any of my keyboard or mouse inputs it was off the bottom of
the screen somewhere.

That caused me to get a new driver installed today (I think the old one
was at least 5 years old) but I'm not sure it has improved anything.
The first glitch just reappeared again for the second time some 5-6
hours after the new driver was installed. But I'm pleased to report that
Jeff's fix works just fine.  Right click on the screen, choose
"properties" which brings up the "display properties" dialog, change the
color quality to 16 bits from 32 bits and then change it back.
Actually, I don't think I actually needed to change it back.  Had I not
responded to the question about keeping the new color settings I think
it would have fixed itself.

That's one I can live with but the second glitch (which so far hasn't
reappeared under the new driver) is a real pain.  I not only have to
reboot but have to do a hard power down.  The system might be responding
to a keyboard request to bring up the task manager but if it is I can't
see it.  Seems there must be some strange time syncing problems.  If it
occurs again I think I'll be blaming the monitor rather then the video
card.  I find it peculiar that both glitches cause display item
positioning problems relative to the width of an icon.  One is a
horizontal displacement of the entire screen to the right, the second is
a repetitive vertical display of the first row of icons.

Chuck Norcutt