Re: [OM] Monitor calibration

Subject: Re: [OM] Monitor calibration
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 08:35:57 -0500
NEC's Spectraview colorimeter doesn't give accurate profiles with non-NEC
monitors and software; it  is a little different than the regular i1
Display II device.

You can't change the CIE xy values, they are the actual color of the
screen's red, blue, and green pixels. Accurate measurement of them is
important to making a profile. Monitor calibration is actually two
separate things. Calibration has you adjust the screen's brightness,
contrast, and color to as close as it can get to the ideal, then a profile
is made by measuring the actual values the monitor is producing and
creating an ICC profile that tells color managed software like Photoshop
how the screen displays color, so it can adjust the display of images to
compensate for the slight inaccuracy in the calibration or deficiencies in
the screen's color gamut.

You'll never get the laptop screen to match your NEC screen. The NEC has
internal lookup tables that allow it to adjust its white point with no
loss of color gamut, unlike most LCDs, which really cannot change their
white point (CRTs can, but LCDs cannot because of how they display
color...the backlight in an LCD is a certain color temperature and you're
kinds stuck with that on most LCDs).

I believe xrite's software requires you to manually change the screen
brightness during the calibration steps, it doesn't do it automatically.
That is probably why your screen is coming out too bright.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook