Re: [OM] What have I done?? (F)

Subject: Re: [OM] What have I done?? (F)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 02:27:53 -0800
On 11/30/2011 12:04 AM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
> Interesting responses, everybody! (Moose, thanks for the nice read)
>
> First of all, I can't believe that Bill, Ken, etc. think that I am
> ready to dismiss my OM goodies so quickly. Like, "no", - I am not
> giving my 250mm away! It's just a very interesting and different
> experience. I am rather young, yes, I was born way after the Nikon F
> era. It's great to experience it now for the first time... It's just a
> phase I think :-)
>
> As a user of big cameras (Mamiya RB67, Linhof Technika) I must say, I
> do like how the heft of the Nikon F dampens vibration and sound.
> Still, this is a baby camera compared to any full-frame DSLR!

Hmmm. I seem to recall you had a phase with Canon 1Dx cameras? The 5D is a
different thing:

          W    H    D     Volume    Wt.

F       147   98   56     807      685
FTn     147  102   95   1,415    1,049
5D      152  113   75   1,288      895

The volume figures are, of course those of a box into which each camera would
just fit, not the cameras themselves. I
suspect if you measured volume displacement, the 5D would still be a bit
smaller that the FTn.

No really 'fair' way to compare, as the 5D has exposure measuring capability
like the FTn, but there is no F equivalent
DSLR.

Still, I think "a baby camera compared to any full-frame DSLR!" may be
overstated, no?

Moose