Re: [OM] Cleaning Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning Lenses
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:44:28 -0700

> >    I just took an acid brush and cut the bristles down to 5mm.  Then
dipped
> > it lightly in alcohol and with a small swirling motion cleaned out all
of
> > the dirt in the engraved lettering and other markings.  Afterwards, I
used a
> > very soft cloth moistened with De-Solv-It and cleaned away all of the
> > residue.  Now, except for the wear along the sharp edges, the lens looks
as
> > good as new.
> >
> >    I'll get myself some of that 'Antistatic foaming cleaner' later when
> > locate some.
>

> Brand names and local names make it difficult. For instance, I don't know
> what you mean by an 'acid brush'.

    Also known as a "flux brush".  They are disposable brushes about 7-9cm
long with rolled metal handles about 8mm in diameter and stiff bristles up
to 12mm long.  You can get them just about anywhere that sells soldering
supplies, such as the plumbing area in a large hardware store.  They are
cheap enough that you can easily afford to trim a number of them to various
lengths to suit your purpose.

> I've found that I need a range of cleaning solvents -
> Lighter fluid for shutter blades and some general cleaning.
> Alcohol - ethanol.
> Acetone (usually non-oily nail polish remover).
> Where one won't work, another will and they are all fast vaporising,
although
> they do seem to leave some slight residue.
> Clear Windex for glass. (that seems to be a consistent brand name).
> I find that a citrus and alcohol product called Citra here is excellent
for
> removing old glues although it leaves an oily residue which has to be
removed
> with a solvent.

    Yes to all of these, but I'm very careful about bringing acetone in
contact with camera equipment.  Also, the cleaner ROR (Residual Oil Remover)
was highly recommended by a local camera repair technician for cleaning lens
glass.  I use it to follow up after using Windex.

    The De-Solv-It cleaner I mentioned is one of a number of citrus oil
cleaners that can remove just about anything and are terrific on non-porous
materials.  I have yet to find anything that it will harm, but don't use it
on anything porous such as wood or paper.  It may very likely be the exact
same sort of cleaner as the Citra product you mentioned.

Chris